Tuesday, February 21, 2012

So, What Would You Say You Do Here…..?

Tomorrow marks my third week on the job at Roche.  I’ve spent about one weeks time doing actual lab work, about one week doing training, and probably about one weeks time just sitting and wondering what the hell I should be doing.  Thankfully it’s easy to make this last part seem like I’m working because thinking is part of the scientific process.  “Hey Noah, what are you working on?”  “Oh you know, just thinking over this last data set”.  Let’s be honest though, how many people really “work” the WHOLE time they are at work?

In terms of my actual work at Roche, my task is to characterize synthetic peptides (small synthetic proteins or amino acid chains) that are precisely patterned on a solid surface.  Well at least in theory they should be precisely patterned and the sequences should be accurate.  That is where my job comes in: to ensure that they are in fact making what they think they are (just like any other consumer product, this is essentially QA/QC). 

However, because this product is new technology (faster, lighter, and more efficient) there are not clear methods or strategies for how to perform this QA/QC work.  In fact, it is actually a really big challenge to make these peptide measurements, but it has to be done for the product to be successful and understood.  Who CARES though, right?  Well these peptide materials would be very useful to researchers around the world to study diseases, drugs, and biological functions; however, they are only useful if they are well characterized and understood.  In other words, my job is the most important of them all!!

My daily commute averages about 1.5 hours door to door (Roche is in Penzberg - about 30 miles south of Munich).  This makes the days very long, but thankfully my train ride is quite pleasant thanks to it being mostly empty with amazing countryside views.  I’m now addicted to the Radio Lab podcast (highly recommended, and I’ve even got Julie hooked) and my Kindle has been getting a lot of use.  Here are some snapshots from the wonderful sights I enjoy on my commute: 




Seriously, the train is so empty one can play their trombone without making anyone else upset (if you don’t like it, move over to the empty carriage behind you).

No comments:

Post a Comment