Friday, November 1, 2013

Jet-setting off to Paris for the weekend


As we continue to play catch-up on back logged posts, I will now reminisce about the weekend of October 19th, when I flew to Paris to meet up with my childhood friends Allison and Allison.  They came to Europe for the week, and after their 24-hour stay in London, it was time for their 48 hours in Paris.  Lucky for me Paris is a short and cheap flight away, so I could easily join them for a nice Parisian weekend.

We met at our hotel Friday night after my flight and their Eurostar train from London arrived.  We headed out for a late dinner in the touristy area, where the first photo Allison B took was of a cat licking itself.  That is the only photo of Paris (outside our hotel room) taken on their first night in Paris.  Classy. 

The next morning we had plans to take the train out of the city to visit the Palace of Versailles.  Unfortunately, the normal train was shut down, so after an hour+ of unsuccessfully trying to locate the backup route, we decided to move on.  Otherwise our memories of Paris 2013 would have been of wandering through metro and train stations.

Instead we decide to head to the classic tourist spot of Paris that I know isn’t ‘shut down’ for the weekend – the Eiffel Tower.  

The next stop – the Weiss Chocolate store.  We had some guests gift us some Weiss maracons and chocolate from their store in Strasbourg. I had looked up their Paris location, and was determined to buy some more treats from them.  We follow Google maps, find the store, and then see the sign on the door saying they have closed.  WTF?  Additionally, the Allisons had only heard of the coconut-based macaroon cookies… not the French colorful maracon cookies.  I was hoping to introduce them to the Weiss versions, but clearly that was off the table.

We remembered there was a bakery right next to our hotel, and we had seen macarons in the window.  Plus they mentioned ‘gluten free’ on the door – which one Allison requires.  Side note – turns out all French macarons are gluten free – made with almond flour.  Who knew?  Anyways, we make our way back to the hotel/macaron store, and luckily find it open.  Since they had never eaten macarons before, I suggested we just share one box so they can taste it.  Then if they like it, we can return the next day (Sunday) to buy more for our trip home, because, you know, their website says they are open Sundays.  The macarons are a hit (and this place makes good ones), and we figure we should check to ensure the store is really open Sundays since we have had such bad luck in Paris with things being closed.  Good thing we asked – they would have been closed!  So instead we all stock up on the colorful treats and leave them in our hotel room.  Thanks PapyBioAtelier

Next up – walking off some of that sugar on the Champs-Élysées to do some window-shopping and see the Arc de Triomphe.  Well, it wasn’t just window-shopping for all three of us – Allison G found a nice Louis Vuitton purse from the flagship store.  Side note: I had to Google Louis Vuitton to see how to spell it – hence I passed on the opportunity to buy one. 

After a sushi dinner (for Allison B and I) and a Hard Rock Café dinner (for Allison G), we went to see the Eiffel Tower lit up at night.  As this is a tourist hot spot, there are many people trying to sell things or run scams – who really knows.  But one thing that helped us out was my knowledge of German.  Whenever people came up to us asking if we spoke English, I would say, ‘Nein. Deutsch.’  That night a group of young men bothering us with this rouse clearly had no idea what I was talking about.  They started laughing and asking, 'What is that? Dutch?' and trying to figure out what I was saying.  Finally, in my pure American accented English, I said, ‘I speak German.’  Clearly, German was not one of their languages, and my perfect English didn’t tip me off that we could communicate in English, so they continued on to the next group of tourists. 

Sunday morning we met up with an old college buddy of mine from the Campus Computer Store, Rohan, and his lovely girlfriend, Ashley.  They just happened to arrive in Paris the day before for a French vacation/work stuff, and the timing worked out so we could all meet up.  After a simple breakfast of pain au chocolat, or, ‘Chocolate Pain’ as Noah and I like to call it, we headed over to Notre Dame. 

Along the way we ran across one of many, many bridges in Europe covered in locks.  We all stopped to take pictures and try to locate our names, but I seemed to be the only one with luck.  I guess the fact that Julie is a French name doesn’t hurt, and I don’t think Rohan would ever have an easy time finding his name on a lock (though he did find it on a street).  I took many pictures to show Noah all my new French boyfriends, and one J&N that I could pretend that I did for us.  Oh, and the M&M lock was pretty romantic. 



Next up was Notre Dame, where the line to get in was monstrous.  I guess the fact that it was Sunday morning didn’t help.  But we did get to hear the bells ringing.  And take a few more pictures.  Sadly it was time for us to say au revoir to Rohan and Ashley.  But as we are averaging seeing Rohan 1x a year in Europe, I hope we can continue the tradition. 

Allisons and I were down to our last few hours in Paris, and what better place to spend them than in Chipotle.  Right?  What can I say, I love burritos, and they still have yet to open a Chipotle (or more preferably, a Qdoba), anywhere near Munich. 

We followed Chipotle up with a Crêperie for the Allisons (I was too stuffed full of burritos to join in) for a more authentic French ending to the trip.  This was followed by a rather long wait at the airport due to storms, but lucky for Allison B she could replenish her depleted macarons stash before leaving the country.  Soon enough we were all back at the apartment in Munich, where we would leave the Allisons to enjoy the city of Munich on Monday, and then take them down to the fairy tale castle of
Neuschwanstein on Tuesday.  But I’ll save that for another blog (and another blog writer).

No comments:

Post a Comment