Thursday, May 10, 2012

Face Plant


This week I was planning on doing a blog about the employee cafeteria’s version of Texas food, but sadly I have missed the last 3 days.  Instead, I will blog about my first ambulance ride, and all the festivities surrounding it on Tuesday!

It all started when I missed my bus.  Instead of giving up and resigning myself to a train 10 minutes later, I decided I could powerwalk and make it to the station myself.  I headed out, and had to jog the last bit.  But success!  I made it to the platform just as my train pulled in!

I hopped on the train, and tried to catch my breath.  I realized I was really thirsty, but oh well, I didn’t have any water on me.  I took my jacket off because it was rather warm (though Monday was cold and rainy), and as usual, no seats are open yet.  I then start to realize that something isn’t quite right, and I decided I should just get off the train and go sit.  Unfortunately, this thinking all happened in the span of 40 seconds, and by then the doors were closed and the train was pulling out.  Darn.

I think, ok, I can just get off at the next stop, no big deal.  And this is where my memory starts to go.  Everything went fuzzy (for those of you who have fainted before, you know what I mean), and I remember thinking I must be back in bed sleeping because this couldn’t really be happening.  Next thing I know, I am coming to and people are helping me off the train.

Two amazing strangers – a high school kid and a woman not too much older than me – stayed with me.  They took me to a bench, helped me lay down, and propped my feet up on the boy’s backpack.  At this point I thought I was rather sweaty, but when I wiped my neck I realize it is actually blood.  Oh great, I am bleeding.

The woman went to call 112 (it isn’t 911 here) and even bought me water.  The kid stayed with me, and chatted with me a bit.  He mentioned how he didn’t think his teacher would believe why he was late.  I offered that he could take a photo of me as proof, but he laughed and said it was ok.   

The paramedics show up, and my amazing helpers went on their way.  I learn I am to go to the ER for some stiches.  Fun.  I notice it is 8am, and I have to call Noah right away.  He gets to work around 8, and once he is in his building he loses cell service.  Amazingly, I got ahold of him right as he was stepping off his bus at work.  I manage to say ‘Come home’ before bursting into tears. 

You know how it is when you go through something, and you manage to keep it together, and then you hear a familiar voice and you lose it? So I handed the phone to the male paramedic (the woman was cleaning me up), and asked him to tell Noah what was up.  Well, his English isn’t so good.  He says, “There has been an accident”.  The woman paramedic slapped him and said, “Don’t say that!  That is awful!”.  He finally explains it to Noah and I take the phone to tell him I really am ok.  Poor guy was just stepping off the bus at work from his 90-minute commute only to turn right back around.  I am just glad I got him – 2 more minutes he wouldn’t have had cell reception.

The paramedics walk me to the ambulance and sit me down (no stretcher needed).  I wanted to see what I looked like, so I snapped this photo.  I know from the blood on my jeans and shirt that I was really bloody when it happened, but don’t worry – no photos were taken until after I was cleaned up (though I kind of wish I could have seen myself).


When I get to the hospital, they take me to a room for my stitches.  The woman who came in to do them fortunately spoke English (my German was not working at the moment), and she was very friendly and patient. I asked if I needed stitches, and explained I am terrified of needles.  She said no, but I would have a large scar on my forehead without them. I told her I thought that was ok.  She said it would be 2 cm+, I said that is ok.  After a few more minutes of the same back/forward, she convinced me (though I knew I needed them, I just needed time to process it) and I cooperated.  I ended up with 3 blue stitches right above my right eye.

Now they moved me to another room to wait for a doctor to clear me to leave.  At this point, Laura shows up.  Poor thing wasn’t feeling very good, so she was working from home.  And since I didn’t want to make my way home by myself, and Noah was 90+ minutes out, I asked her to come.  Well it turns out we sat and waited for an hour before the doctor came in, and by that Noah had shown up.  Even though she wasn’t needed to get me home, it really helped having someone to sit with and talk to while I waited. 

I explained to the doctor in broken German everything that happened (I guess my German was back now).  She said I looked fine to leave, but her boss had to clear me too.  So I thanked Laura, and let her get back home to rest up since Noah was there.  After another 30 minutes, the boss doctor came in and cleared me.  4 hours after I fainted, I was back at home.



2 days later I am feeling pretty good considering.  The area around my stitches hurts (no surprise there), and my arms are incredibly sore.  I also have a huge bump/bruise on my knee, so Noah and his forensic science thinking decided I landed on my left side, and hit my head on something on the way down. 

I don’t really know why I fainted – it had to be the right combination of forces at work.  I have run to the train before with no hullabaloo.  I know I was really thirsty, and a bit overheated.  One theory is the weather – it has been changing lately (hot and dry one day, cold and rainy the next), and I learned the air pressure was really low Tuesday.  Perhaps another factor was when I realized I needed to get off the train, I couldn’t, and I was stuck in a semi-crowded train with no seat.  This probably added a level of panic/stress to the situation that didn’t help. 

Today I had to go to a local doctor to get my stitches checked and cleaned.  I was told to come back on the 21st for him to remove them – almost 2 weeks after I got them – because of the location.  He told me that since they are on my face, he would hate to take them out too early and risk a bigger scar.  Oh, and I got a tetanus shot, which really helped my sore arm. ;)

Overall I am pretty positive about everything.  I was very lucky that I didn’t break anything, or lose any teeth, or do any serious damage to myself.  And the people on the train were so helpful – they even made sure I had my purse!  Not to mention I got a hold of Noah with only a couple seconds to spare, and I had Laura in the city to come to my rescue.  And all in all, with the ambulance ride, stitches, and exams, I only had to pay the 10EUR for the paperwork.  I am getting my money’s worth out of the higher insurance paycheck deduction! 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are okay! I am thinking if that happened in New York you would not have your purse and hopefully someone would have helped you off of the train but they probably wouldn't have waited with you. Sounds like they are super friendly there!

    ReplyDelete